Congressman Huizenga serves on the prestigious House Financial Services Committee, which has jurisdiction over issues pertaining to banking, housing, insurance, monetary policy, and international finance, Congressman Huizenga adds his life experience as a small business leader to legislative decision-making.
During the 118th Congress, Congressman Huizenga will serve as the Chairman of the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee on the House Financial Services Committee. This Subcommittee will oversee all agencies, departments, programs and matters within the Financial Services Committee’s jurisdiction. Federal agencies under the purview of the Financial Service Committee include: The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Federal Reserve, the Department of Treasury, and the Government Sponsored Enterprises (Fannie & Freddie) to name a few.
Congressman Huizenga will also serve as a member of the Subcommittee on Investor Protection, Entrepreneurship, and Capital Markets. This subcommittee spearheads efforts regarding all aspects of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC) operations, activities, and initiatives to ensure that it fulfills its congressional mandate to protect investors, maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets, and facilitate capital formation. Rep. Huizenga has previously served on the Housing, Community Development, and Insurance Subcommittee as well as the Monetary Policy and Trade Subcommittee where he focused on restoring accountability and transparency to the Federal Reserve.
This is Congressman Huizenga’s seventh term on the Financial Services Committee. Previous memberships include Chair of the Monetary Policy and Trade Subcommittee, the Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit Subcommittee, International Monetary Policy and Trade Subcommittee, and Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology Subcommittee. For more information about Congressman Huizenga's work on the Financial Services Committee, click here.
For the first time, Rep. Huizenga will also be serving on the House Foreign Affairs Committee. This committee has jurisdiction over national security as it pertains to foreign policy as well as oversight over the deployment and use of United States Armed Forces. Additionally the committee overseas dual use technology issues, matters pertaining to arms control and a host international programs and entities.
As a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Huizenga has been selected to serve on the Subcommittee on Europe as well as the Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere. These Subcommittee have jurisdiction over the following within their specified regions:
(1) Matters affecting the political relations between the United States and the countries of the region, including resolutions or other legislative measures directed to such relations.
(2) Legislation with respect to disaster assistance outside the Foreign Assistance Act, boundary issues, and international claims.
(3) Legislation with respect to region- or country-specific loans or other financial relations outside the Foreign Assistance Act.
(4) Legislation and oversight regarding human rights practices in particular countries.
(5) Oversight of regional lending institutions.
(6) Oversight of matters related to the regional activities of the United Nations, of its affiliated agencies, and of other multilateral institutions.
(7) Identification and development of options for meeting future problems and issues relating to U.S. interests in the region.
(8) Oversight of base rights and other facilities access agreements and regional security pacts.
(9) Concurrent oversight jurisdiction with respect to matters assigned to the functional subcommittees insofar as they may affect the region.
(10) Oversight of foreign assistance activities affecting the region, with the concurrence of the Chairman of the full Committee.
(11) Such other matters as the Chairman of the full Committee may determine.