|A great way to serve your country is to attend one of the United States Service Academies. It is a great honor for me to nominate successful candidates from the 4th District to attend one of these prestigious institutions. See below for more on how to apply:
Service Academy Information Checklist
- You must be at least 17 years of age, but not yet 23 years of age as of July 1 of the year you seek admission to an Academy. Note: Merchant Marine Academy maximum age is 25.
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- You may not be married, pregnant or have a legal obligation to support a child
- You must be a resident of the 2nd Congressional District of Michigan
Congressman Huizenga’s Requirements:
- Completed application form, printed, and signed (see below)
- Provide a personal essay (500-750 words) describing why you want to attend a United States Service Academy. In this essay, please also include what makes you a qualified and unique candidate for a nomination.
- Provide an official transcript of your high school (and any college) grades through the most recent grading period.
- Provide a statement from your guidance counselor as to your projected rank in class and your cumulative grade point average if it is not included on your official transcript.
- Provide three (ONLY) letters of recommendation from representative members of your community who are in the position to comment on your leadership ability, character, and suitability for an academy nomination and military career. It is suggested that the letters come from people who can give a view of all aspects of your life, for example; teacher, counselor, employer, clergyman, coach or family friend.
- Provide copies of your ACT and/or SAT scores. You should take the next available exam so that we have your scores by our deadline. Should you take the test more than once, your best scores will be considered.
- Please provide a current photograph of yourself with this application packet.
Service Academy Nominations Timeline
Congressman Bill Huizenga
||Application packets available for high school graduating class of 2024 or current college students.
|July 1 – October 31, 2023
Applications for nominations accepted at our Congressional Office.
|October 31, 2023
||Application DEADLINE - 5:00 PM (No late applications will be accepted)
|November 1 – 30, 2023
||Applications are reviewed and Congressional staff notifies each candidate of their interview time and location.
|December 1, 2023
Interviews with Congressman Huizenga’s Academy Board.
|December 2 - 31, 2023
||Congressional office to notify candidates about their nomination status
||Nomination forms are prepared and sent to each academy, and nominees’ names are released to the press
|February - April 2024
Nominees will hear from the academies about admission
|June – July 2024
Cadets/Midshipmen from the Class of 2028 report to their academy
Please send completed application packets by October 31, 2023 to:
Congressman Bill Huizenga
Attention: Krista Umanos
170 College Ave. Suite 160
Holland, MI 49423
For more questions or assistance, please contact Krista at (616) 251-6741.
|Required fields are followed by *.