|ABOUT THE COMMITTEE AND HUIZENGA’S SUBCOMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS:
The Financial Services Committee, chaired by Rep. Jeb Hensarling, R-TX, has jurisdiction over monetary policy, international finance, international monetary organizations, and efforts to combat terrorist financing. Agencies under oversight by the Committee include: the Federal Reserve, Treasury, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the National Credit Union Administration, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Federal Housing Finance Agency, and the Export-Import Bank.
Huizenga will be serving on two subcommittees for the 113th Congress: The Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises Subcommittee and as Vice Chairman of Monetary Policy and Trade Subcommittee.
Previously Congressman Huizenga served on the Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit, International Monetary Policy and Trade, and Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology Subcommittees.
Huizenga has a unique perspective on both finance and public service. Before being elected to office, he was a REALTOR and entrepreneur. In 1999, he became co-owner of Huizenga Gravel, Inc., in Jenison, MI, which has given Huizenga the real-life experience of dealing with the issues small business owners face, as a business owner himself.
ABOUT THE COMMITTEE AND HUIZENGA’S SUBCOMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS:
As Vice Chair, Congressman Huizenga will assist Subcommittee Chairman John Campbell (CA-45) in running committee hearings and essential committee operations.
The Subcommittee on Monetary Policy and Trade has jurisdiction over legislation pertaining to:
- Economic growth and stabilization;
- Domestic monetary policy, including the effect of such policy and other financial actions on interest rates, the allocation of credit, and the structure and functioning of domestic financial institutions;
- Coins, coinage, currency, and medals, including commemorative coins and medals, proof and mint sets and other special coins, and counterfeiting;
- International trade;
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF);
- International investment policies, both as they relate to United States investments for trade purposes by citizens of the United States and investments made by all foreign entities in the United States.
The Subcommittee on Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises. This subcommittee will have jurisdiction over issues surrounding:
- Securities, exchanges, and finance;
- Capital markets activities, including business capital formation and venture capital;
- Activities involving futures, forwards, options, and other types of derivative instruments;
- The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC);
- Secondary market organizations for home mortgages, including the Federal National Mortgage Association, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, and the Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation;
- The Federal Housing Finance Agency; and
- Federal Home Loan Banks.
For more, and to watch live Committee hearings, please visit financialservices.house.gov.